Hello & Welcome to my site! I’m a real lawyer with a real office and a real practice that I call gbtlaw that’s focused on business law & business deals, especially IT. I thrive on deals – the more complex or challenging the better.
Fat-Free Bumpf: gbtlaw in Less Than 200 Words
gbtlaw is Grant Buchan-Terrell (doing business law since 1978) and Robert Woodford, my new associate (who has deep IT experience). Our focus is:
doing deals for small business clients (buying, selling, financing)
- resolving owner disputes without litigation
- advising on employment law for employers, contract advice & preparation
- counseling Boards of Directors on governance issues
- not for profit legal consulting
Rather than have rigid hourly rates, we tailor our hourly rates to the nature and complexity of the client matters. A virtual associate & a virtual clerk also facilitate cost-efficient delegation. We show flexibility in fee arrangements.
We hustle on files, delivering Bay St. experience w/Main Street value & practical, no-nonsense advice. Building our practice one client at a time is our focus – for those who believe professional relationships are still important to building and protecting a business. Please call us to arrange a meeting to talk about your business law needs. Thanks!
And here is the longer version:
I offer 30+ years of business law experience to help entrepreneurs grow and protect their businesses. But please don’t get the impression that I’m an old-fashioned lawyer – I use the latest technology and methods to get deals done efficiently. I use my experience to exercise practical judgment.
- help buyers to purchase businesses without nasty surprises
- assist owners to sell their businesses effectively
- advise owners how to deal with troublesome partners or how to get bought out
- strategize business startups: capitalization, governance, structure, distribution
- resolve ownership, employment and contract disputes without going to Court
- work with accountants & financial advisors to do tax reorganizations, rollovers, butterflys, mergers
- design & implement distribution and licensing plans for manufacturers & distributors
- provide high level advice to Not-for-Profit corporations
I only do business law. I don’t go to Court.
I frequently quarterback specialist lawyers to handle matters that are not in my comfort zone, acting much like an inhouse general counsel.
These are some of the transactions and projects I’ve participated in lately:
- Providing strategic advice for IT start-ups: design initial capitalization of a social media product business so as to recognize founders, early investors, next round of venture or angel capital & flexibility for key employee participation.
- Acting for Boards of Directors on difficult governance issues: guidance and recommendations for shareholder meetings, procedural questions & ongoing management/membership issues.
- Purchase and sale of businesses: asset & share sales; management buy-outs, family succession, shareholder buy-sells.
- Shareholder & Partner Disputes: advising minority or control shareholders; negotiating voluntary or involuntary exits.
- Corporate reorganizations: strategize and implement key employee buy-ins, capital restructurings with owner/operators.
- Not-for-Profits expertise: corporate, governance and HR aspects.
- Securities: a special counsel on securities aspects; represent issuer obtaining venture capital; advising angel investors.
- Source and implement debt financings: secured bank loans, term equipment loans, bulk lease financings, convertible debentures, factoring, asset-based lending.
- Access new capital: angel investors, venture capital, strategic partners, joint ventures, private placements, reverse takeovers, IPO readiness.
- Introduce & distribute new products: licensing agreements, technology transfers, royalty agreements, restructuring inappropriate arrangements, IP protection strategy.
- Strategize commercial dispute resolution to avoid litigation, and obtain a timely and sound business result, including shareholder & supplier situations.
- Partnership Breakups & Startups: provided strategy on several partnership battles to achieve business & personal goals without going to Court; also advised on creation of new partnerships.
- Resolving Contract Impasses: brought in by a major not-for-profit agency that was mired in long-standing contractual impasse with another major agency, worked out a global solution.
If you’re an seasoned entrepreneur who has reached the point where you recognize the long-term benefits of working with a chartered accountant for tax, estate planning & financial strategy (ie, you’ve outgrown a bookkeeper) and a corporate/commercial solicitor for specialized advice & deal skills, then it’s quite likely that we’ll have a good fit.
If you’ve previously used a large downtown law firm, even better! I strive to deliver the best features of mega-firms: great service, deep expertise in business law areas and sound practical judgment without compromising long term interests (ie, not expediency). I’m delighted to take instructions from a financial intermediary or adviser instead of the client directly.
If you’re new to business, or at least new to being an entrepreneur, and all you really need is a corporation, then I’d be happy to help you, but I’m sure you’d be able to get that done more cheaply (but not better!) somewhere else. Incorporations are not a profit centre for me, because I actually spend a fair bit of time with the client. I make sure that everything is done to get you on the ground running (not just bare incorporation: my clerk and I will produce a completed Minute Book, with Officers & Directors, bank account, fiscal year end, initial share issuances, and all initial filings).
Dynamic businesses are the core of my practice, and I give them the very best service I can. Another characteristic of my practice is that I often work closely with a financial intermediary hired by the client to carry out a complex transaction.
My approach is direct. I don’t sugar-coat my advice, I give it to you straight as to your best interest. Difficult deals often give rise to difficult issues, and smart entrepreneurs want to consider all major factors. Do you want an obsequious paper-pusher or a trusted expert counselor?
I would be pleased to meet with you to demonstrate how I can protect and grow your business. (905-847-9707)